Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eduardo Injects Promise For Arsenal


Arsenal progressed to the fifth round of the FA Cup yesterday by shutting out Cardiff City, last year's runners-up, 4 nil. The newest addition to Arsenal's side was not only the highlights in Nasri's hair, as flattering as they were, but also the highly-anticipated return of Eduardo Da Silva. Eduardo was out of Arsenal first team matches for exactly 358 days. February 23, 2008 is behind us all now.
The last time Arsenal won a match by a four goal margin was against Porto on September 30th. This match will serve as a source of momentum for the Gunners as they prepare for the knockout stages of the Champions League and the battle for 4th in the Premiership. I will be praying for a 0-0 draw when Chelsea face Villa this weekend.
During the Cardiff match, as I searched every single video hosting site to try to watch the match, I came across an article posted in the Telegraph about Bendtner's obnoxious claims that he's the best striker at Arsenal right now. Really, Nicklas? Where were you when RVP was firing us back in the match in the last minute at Goodison Park? Where were you when we couldn't get goals against Hull, Sunderland, Fulham, and Stoke?
He also talks about Arshavin's arrival and how he didn't watch Euros. The reason you don't know how good he is Nicklas is because you weren't watching. Everything about the article made me sick. I've been pretty stubborn in liking Bendtner, it's persistence, really. I'm starting to lose my patience with him. After he scored the second goal of the match yesterday I was expecting faint boos from the supporters. Obviously no one had gotten a hold of this article prior to the match. Get it sorted out, Nicklas. --> http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4935921,00.html : this link explains things...phew.
For now, I'm thinking positively about Cesc's return to the squad. Our captain keeps saying he could be back sooner than expected. The Roma match is a week from today - is it just me or are Champions League matches like mirages? They're always spread out and distant. I have to slap myself in the face and realize that, yes, it's really starting up next week. Thirst no longer, it's back.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Hayes,

    Wow. I am thoroughly enjoying your posts. So I also opened up soccernet to read the article about Bendtner. What a boner. In contrast to yourself and your brother I have never, I repeat, never, put much stock in Bendtner's abilities. I just think back to the previous strikers at Arsenal and I don't think that he is worthy to hold the jockstrap of the likes of Bergkamp or Henry or the other big names that are synonymous with Arsenal futbol. If he thinks he deserves to be in that category the lads got a screw loose.

    I also think that his comment about "not watching the Euros" makes him out to be a totally conceited a**hole. What professional footballer would scoff at the Euros, one of the finest competitions out there? Moron. Basically what I am saying Mr. Hayes, is that it is time to drop the persistence in sticking with our friend Nicklas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skysports link I posted explains some things. Apparently he was taken completely out of context from a Danish magazine interview. He said it's basically all completely false. I still don't see how you can get so many quotes that appear to be pretty set-in-stone.
    I agree completely with you when you talked about Nicklas in relation to the big names that are synonymous with Arsenal. He should never be put in the same sentence with Dennis or Thierry, ever.
    I still think he has plenty to bring to the table but he does have an edginess about him that makes him extremely hard to have respect for. It sucks because it's almost like a Cristiano Ronaldo quality...but I mean Cristiano > Bendtner so we lose out there.
    My next post will be on Saturday recapping all the premiership action. Obviously I will focus more on the Arsenal v Sunderland match. Thanks man for keeping up with it. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete