Wednesday, May 6, 2009

United Outclass Arsenal in Every Deparment

As a good friend of mine reminded me, you can not only bring news and analysis when times are swell. This is one of those times when everything in me does not want to enclose my thoughts on yesterday's semifinal. It will be brief.
Going into the semifinal Arsenal knew they were going to be playing in the most important game in their history since the 2006 final in Paris. Wenger's emphasis on the players was based in them playing with freedom and enjoyment. I think his philosophy was appropriate because Manchester United and Arsenal know each other inside and out.
The first five minutes were sharp for the Gunners ending in a deflected shot from Fabregas. For the next 85 minutes, United would dominate and outplay Arsene's army in every department. Park Ji-Sung capitalized on Gibbsy's slip in the box. All hope that every Arsenal fan had was surely extinguished after Ronnie's bullet free kick. As much as I think Almunia could have got his gloves behind the ball more quickly, it was a rocket. Four goals against Manchester United is not only asking you to climb a mountain, it's asking you to climb Everest, twice.
There is nothing that is pleasant about the thought of this match. Manchester United claimed their first victory at the Emirates, they ended our undefeated record in the Champions League at the Emirates and they now have the chance to be the first club to win the Champions League consecutively. As an Arsenal supporter, my last glimmering hope would be for Barcelona to win it all. I don't want Manchester United to continue hogging the podium and I don't want Chelsea to be the first London club to win the Champions League. Perhaps Henry will get what he deserves. Shame it won't be with Arsenal.

1 comment:

  1. I know that was a bitter pill to swallow writing this piece Hayes, but I feel confident that it was a good exercise for your journalism; I wasn't suggesting you write it because I am a cruel and wanted to rub it in. In fact, I am probably the most sympathetic fan when it comes to situations like this because I absolutely HATE and it makes me feel like absolute CRAP when Man U loses a big game and someone rubs it in, particularly when it is against Arsenal. I almost col-cocked Coleman in the Asbury Cafeteria last year over a league game where you guys beat us. So, because I have these feelings, I tend to try and be as sensitive as possible to the losing side because I know how painful the experience already is and it doesn't need to be compounded by mean comments...I digress. Did you watch the Barca Chelski game? Two wonder strikes of goals if you ask me. I thought that the display of Chelsea after the final whistle, although warranted considering the two obvious handballs (particularly Pique's), was a little bit obscene. Drogba was acting like a little child both when he was subbed off and after the whistle. I thought it was hilarious. He is limping around for like 5 minutes and not making runs and holding his hammy and then Hiddink subs him out and he acts incredulous and walks off the field shaking his head and rolling his eyes. What a little kaesekki.

    Love you bro. See you in 9 days? Can't wait!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete