Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Arsenal Hit Oasis at Hawthorns

Arsenal finally ended their scoring drought this evening with a 3-1 away victory over relegation-bound West Bromwich Albion. All three of Arsenal's goals came in the first half with Bendtner claiming a brace and Kolo Toure getting on the end of an Andrei Arshavin spot kick.
As I was sitting anxiously at my laptop with the Sky sports live commentary Bendtner's first goal popped up immediately. At last! We scored a goal. I had forgotten what that felt like, honestly. To see a score other than 0-0 was a shock. I'm still recovering from it. Anyways, as I was sitting there content as can be, smiling at nothing out the window, an update I resented flashed on the screen and Chris Brunt had equalised. Arsenal had been in the lead for little over two minutes until we were tied, again.

From experience I knew that the likelihood of the final score remaining 1-1 was obsolete; the flood gates had been opened. In Arsenal's case, the gates got cracked open, propped. With two more goals in the final six minutes of the first half, Arsenal had surely sealed the deal. It was not until the second half that I finally found a streaming service that worked. So for the second half, while I watched Arsenal maintain the lead, I got to hear the lovely cadence of a couple of commentators from Arshavin's land. As the Vodka (or wodka as they would most likely pronounce it) trickled down their throats they seemed to care less about the match. It is important to know that Arshavin played the full 90 this evening for the first time. He continues to contribute on the offensive front with his delicate passing and thunderous shooting.
Arsenal fans across the globe will be watching the Man City v Villa match today hoping that either Mr. Bellamy or Mr. Robinho brings their finishing boots to work. If City can claim three points at home tomorrow, a meager three points will be all that separates the Gunners and the Villains. It is also important to note that Everton, another top four contender, travel to Ewood Park tomorrow. Santa Cruz should be confident as ever after scoring at Old Trafford recently. C'mon Santa, c'mon.
Up next: FA Cup 5th round tie with Burnley at the Emirates on Sunday. This match is an important one. There is no doubt about that. You know what I do doubt? I doubt Burnley's keeper, Brian Jensen, can play the role of superman against us again. Until then, it's time we finish out our week and do well in school so we can enjoy our weekend football.

2 comments:

  1. Hayes. Excellent summary. I wasn't able to see any of the games, but after reading your recap I feel like I have a good idea of what's going on. I know that obviously you want your boys to usurp Villa, but I have to admit that I am kind of rooting for Villa to keep their spot, mainly for the novelty of it, not necessarily for anything against Arsenal. It'd be interesting to see a new team in the top four and Champions League, although it is easy to say that with my team in position for a possible quadruple. I still feel that no matter how the season ends, with Wenger conceding that you guys are aiming for fourth, that is dissapointing. Well, I take it back, if you guys got fourth, but snagged the Champions League I think you guys would be alright.

    Paul

    p.s. I've heard rumours that Wenger may be leaving the Emritts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's not leaving!
    and I can see Villa finishing fourth and then losing in qualification! DAH!

    ReplyDelete